What are the General Characteristics of MPO-QR?
The MPO-QR is designed in such a way that it can also be operated exclusively at the connector end, i.e. the bend protection. This allows the MPO adapters to be mounted closer together. The MPO-QR increases the packing density by 50% up to 120 ports per rack unit. A highly efficient solution. A welcome benefit for those who want to pack more ports into a rack.
The cordage comes either as a Method A or Method B MPO cord in accordance with ANSI/TIA-568.3-D. The boot is colored in the same logic as MPO adapters:
Gray for polarity B
And black for polarity A. This allows for an instant identification during installation and documentation.
- Greater packing density in the rack thanks to push/pull mechanism at the boot
- Increases port density by 50%
- Simple identification of polarity with colored boot
- Can be equipped with the R&MinteliPhy RFID tag
What type of performance can I expect from the MPO-QR?
The MPO-QR is both IEC-61754-7 and EIA/TIA-604-5 (FOCIS 5) compliant. It is offered with a maximum insertion loss of 0.3 dB with a minimum return loss of 35 dB for the multimode fiber solution and a minimum return loss of 55 dB for the singlemode solution.
The ferrule included in the MPO-QR has been developed to meet the performance of an MTP® Elite ferrule. The following table compares both specifications.
|Measurement item||Unit||MPO-QR||MTP® Elite|
|Fiber hole eccentricity||Max.||µm||0.67||0.66|
|Guide hole pitch||µm||4599.45 – 4599.90||4599.25 – 4599.67|
|Guide pin hole diameter||G1||mm||0.6993||0.6991|
|Fiber hole diameter||mm||0.1253 – 0.1255||0.1255 – 0.1257|
|Guide pin inclination||mm||0.004||0.008|
- Fiber hole eccentricity: Although maximum eccentricity is a mere 10 nm greater than that of an MTP®, the statistical dispersion is smaller in the MPO-QR
- The MTP® has a larger fiber hole diameter than the MPO-QR
- The R&M LAB has extensively tested both connectors in random mated tests and found very high compatibility – meaning: no loss difference between pure and mixed link configurations
It is therefore clear, that the MPO-QR has the same performance as an MTP® Elite connector.
Where can I use MPO-QR?
The MPO-QR can be utilized in any MPO-based infrastructure containing trunk assemblies, interconnect cords, and MPO patch cords. It will allow for greater packing density in the rack thanks to push/pull mechanism at the boot and can increase the port density by 50%.
As part of the Smart Networks solution, R&M’s IoT-enabled architecture and platform in Data Centers, it can be equipped with an RFID tag to automatically track patching operations.